Girls on the Run
of Catawba Valley
Girls on the Run inspires girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Our 10-12 week after school program for 3rd through 8th grade girls innovatively weaves training for a 5k (3.1 mile) run with lessons focused on developing essential life skills. The lessons inspire girls to be strong, contented and self-confident individuals who intentionally choose an authentic and healthy lifestyle. Ultimately, Girls on the Run envisions a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams.
Girls on the Run of Catawba Valley is an affiliate of Girls on the Run International and a program of the YMCA Catawba Valley, which has a network of 191 locations across the United States and Canada.
The Girls on the Run objective is to reduce the potential display of at-risk activities among its participants. The goal is fewer adolescent pregnancies and eating disorders, less depression and fewer suicide attempts, as well as fewer substance/alcohol abuse problems and confrontations with the juvenile justice system.
GOTR Core Values
We strive to:
- Recognize our power and responsibility to be intentional in our decision making.
- Embrace our differences and find strength in our connectedness.
- Express joy, optimism, and gratitude through our words, thoughts and actions.
- Nurture our physical, emotional and spiritual health.
- Lead with an open heart and assume positive intent.
- Stand up for ourselves and others.